The program Textile Design and Craft is the starting point for you who are aiming for a profession in art, textile design, scenography, costume and interior design. It gives you a good foundation and is a prerequisite for further studies both in Sweden and abroad. You do not need to have worked with textiles before – curiosity about the material and its possibilities to shape your ideas will take you far!
In the school’s textile workshop, we work experimentally with screen printing and try out different sculptural techniques and textile materials for the body, as a form and in a room or space. In the weaving studio, you investigate how materials and weaving technology are joined together to create an artistic expression. You will study drawing, painting and sculpture throughout the year and this serve as the basis for the work with color and shape in the textile techniques.
In a larger project, we bring together the subjects of the education. Here you get the opportunity to develop your ideas and techniques. You work both in groups and individually with a teacher nearby, do your own planning until the deadline. You will reflect on your work and present it in a professional way. You learn how to work in an artistic process and develop your individual expression. The education also includes a course in scenographic photography.
The textile field is wide and today expertise in design and craftsmanship is needed in occupations linked to sustainability, economy, technology and product development. Welcome to participate in developing the textile design language of the future!
The education at Nyckelviksskolan is full-time with a high work rate and teacher presence, which means you spend a lot of time at the school. Conversation, communication and sharing ideas and work process are important parts of the education, as is learning in groups. This demands a high attendance.
- Does Textile Design and Craft focus on fashion and clothing?
- Textile Design and Craft has an artistic and investigative focus. However, our education does not have a fashion or clothing profile and we do not deal directly with sewing and pattern construction. However, we have a guest teacher for a few days cutting during a textile and costume project. The Textile Design and Craft program is the starting point for those aiming for a career in art, textile design, performing arts, costume and interior design. On the other hand, we have had many students with fashion design dreams at Textile form, who have then gone on to Beckmans Designhögskola, Konstfack, the Rietveld Academy in Amsterdam, Textilhögskolan in Borås and who have since established themselves. You don’t need to have worked with textiles before – curiosity about the material and its possibilities to shape your ideas will take you far!
- What eligibility do I need to have in order to apply for your programs?
- We have no formal eligibility requirements for grades. Our supervisory authority Swedish National Agency for Higher Vocational Education leaves this matter of eligibility requirements very open. We have formulated ourselves fairly openly based on the interpretation of the authority’s directive: In order to apply for course entrance at Nyckelviksskolan, the applicant must have upper secondary school qualifications (high school education), equivalent education or have gained a certain amount of work experience.
- Are your courses eligible for student aid?
- Study funds are granted for the one-year programs at what CSN calls post-upper secondary level. Our educations are categorized as Arts and Culture courses by CSN. The quota for study funds for studies at so-called post-upper secondary level is a total of two years (80 weeks) if you have a three-year upper secondary education or the equivalent previously. The total number of weeks you have to apply for student funding applies to both grants and student loans. This means that even if you do not take out a loan for all the weeks, but only take the grant, the weeks are counted as used. For studies at university level, the maximum period for study support is 240 weeks. This quota applies to those who apply to the two-year Specialist Craft Tutor program. The Specialist Craft Tutor program is also categorized as Arts and Culture course though. For the academic year 2023-24, you who are a student and born in 2004 or later can choose for yourself whether you want to take study aid (right now it is a small grant – SEK 1,250/month) or whether you want to apply for study funds with grants and loans. If you take study aid, you can also apply for extra supplements and / or boarding supplements via CSN.
- Do you have accommodation at the school, boarding school?
- The school does not have boarding, but we receive many offers on available rooms and apartments, especially on Lidingö, and are happy to pass them on to interested students. We send out housing ads and give tips on how our students can most easily find somewhere to live. Nyckelviksskolan’s student union is connected to Stockholm’s students’ central organization (SSCO) and you can get help arranging accommodation through SSCO. All students are connected to Nyckelviksskolan’s student union. This gives them the right to live in student apartments that Stockholm Student Housing (SSSB) has. Read more: www.sssb.se. Everyone who studies in art and culture education has the right to live in Kista Studentbostäder, which is mediated by Stockholms Bostadsförmedling. However, some other student housing managers do not approve our type of education to live there.
- Do you have to pay tuition fees or semester fees for your programs?
- Many Arts and Culture courses are only partially financed with state grants. The student must pay tuition fees (or semester fees). The semester fee for the academic year 2022-23 is SEK 17,500, i.e. SEK 35,000 for the entire academic year. The sum includes, among other things, the material that you work with in the training. The fee is paid semesterly. If you are applying for a full student loan, you can also apply for an additional cost loan for the tuition fee if necessary. Additional cost loans are only granted for the part of the semester fee that does not refer to teaching materials. During 2022-23, you can be granted a maximum of SEK 14,000 per semester.
- How are your programs categorized?
- We are between high school and university. Nyckelviksskolan provides one-year university preparation programs (40 weeks) in art, crafts, architecture and design as well as a two-year vocational Specialist Craft Tutor program (80 weeks). Our programs are formally called Arts and Culture courses (Konst- och kulturutbildningar) and we are under the supervision of the Swedish National Agency for Higher Vocational Education. Please note that the vocational Specialist Craft Tutor program is not a higher vocational education (YH), but an Arts and Culture course (Konst- och kulturutbildning).
- When do your programs start? When do the take place?
- We have the start of the academic year once a year, in mid-August. Next time we start on August 21, 2023. The programs are full-time and the compulsory teaching takes place Monday to Friday at 9.00-15.45. In addition, there is time for self-study. The academic year 2023-24 is August 21, 2023 to May 31, 2024. An academic year is 40 study weeks with 180 teaching days and 20 self-study days.
- Can you start working after these studies?
- Our one-year programs are university preparatory Art and culture programs (Konst- och kulturutbildningar). You are not finished after such an education with us. The educational paths are quite long in this area – art, craft, architecture and design. You get the necessary skills to be able to continue at a design school, art school or architecture school and three or five more years of study. If you have architectural dreams, we have programs where you get the skills to enter an architectural bachelor program via Arkitektprovet (the Architect test). We don’t just want to emphasize that our students go on to design, art and architecture university programs. In recent years, we have noticed that many higher education programs that our students are interested in lie in a borderland between creativity, design and technology. Examples of such are educations for game, web and digital application development as well as design engineering educations. On the other hand, we have a vocational Specialist Craft Tutor program that leads to jobs, even if it is also an Art and Culture course (Konst- och kulturutbildning) and not a higher vocational education (YH). The vocational Specialist Craft Tutor program also does not give a teacher’s license if you want to work as an art or crafts teacher in school.
Subjects and materials
Textile printing – 7.6 weeks
Textile weaving – 11.2 weeks
Group project in textile design – 3.8 weeks
Drawing and painting I 3.7 weeks
Drawing and painting II 3.7 weeks
Sculpture I 3.7 weeks
Sculpture II 3.7 weeks
Lectures in art and design – 0.8 weeks
Group dynamics – 0.8 weeks
Digital photo and image processing – 1.0 weeks
The program includes a series of study visits to museums, galleries and individual artists and designers’ studios.